Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) is widely regarded as one of the world’s most popular martial arts. Based on grappling and ground fighting, BJJ owes its far-reaching appeal to a few qualities. Namely, being among the most effective martial arts and promoting positive lifestyle change in its practitioners. But these aren’t the only benefits of Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
In fact, many other advantages are associated with the sport that you may not be aware of. Keep reading to learn 3 unexpected benefits of BJJ!
1. You’ll Gain Respect From Others
Brazilian jiu-jitsu has claim on a couple of distinctions that other self-defence disciplines don’t. First, BJJ is the most complicated martial art to learn. There are thousands of techniques, chokes, submissions, counters, escapes, etc. And due to this complexity, it takes the average person 10 to 15 years to earn their black belt in BJJ. To put this into perspective, it takes 3 to 5 years in other martial arts to reach that status.
And second, BJJ is among the most effective and dangerous martial arts; the techniques are battle-tested for practical, real-life situations. All of this to say: Becoming proficient at BJJ will command the respect of others. People will admire your tenacity, persistence, and skills in a self-defence discipline for real-world applications.
2. Fast Tracks Your Self-Improvement
Brazilian jiu-jitsu is more than a sport or martial art; it’s a vehicle for self-improvement. Gaining competence in this art form requires perseverance and patience, qualities needed for achieving anything in life. For this reason, BJJ remains a medium for personal development.
It can fast-track your self-improvement by:
- Improving your health and fitness
- Strengthening your legs, arms, and body
- Making you comfortable in uncomfortable situations
- Teaching you to be calm under pressure
- Acting as a form of therapy and stress relief
3. Improves Your Problem-Solving Abilities
Your mind is constantly working on the mats. It’s as if every move you make opens up a new set of challenges you must solve and overcome. Brazilian jiu-jitsu transforms you into a problem solver; you learn established rules and analytic reasoning to become a more well-rounded thinker.
And the best part?
These problem-solving abilities are transferable; the qualities you learn while training apply to other areas of life. So by becoming more competent on the mats, you can become more competent in life.
For example, BJJ training helps you…
- Think before you act: You become more even-tempered when people or circumstances try your patience. And as a result, your ability to find solutions to problems improves.
- Feel more in control: When challenges occur, it can feel like you’re on shaky ground; BJJ offers a sense of stability. You can blow off your pent-up frustrations on the mats and return to your life rebalanced with greater clarity to combat your challenges.
- Focus and concentrate: Are you easily distracted? Whether it’s at work, with your kids, or with your spouse, a dwindling attention span is detrimental. Brazilian jiu-jitsu helps improve your concentration, so you can solve work problems more efficiently and more thoroughly enjoy quality time with your family.
Start Experiencing the Benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Today
At Affinity Academy, we create a fun, positive environment for everyone to learn Brazilian jiu-jitsu. It doesn’t matter if you’re a junior, senior, experienced, or new; we welcome everybody.
And with over 65 years of combined training/teaching experience, we’ll gently guide you through your BJJ training, allowing you to move at your own pace and comfort level.
So if you’re ready, contact us today to experience the benefits of Brazilian jiu-jitsu!
Alex Brown is a self-improvement writer specializing in health & fitness, goal setting, self-discipline, and quality living. – See more at: https://alexbrownofficial.net/about-us/